1.02.2008

Vista MCE

I have been running Vista MCE on a new motherboard and I have not been having the re-occurring issues I was experiencing where the system would lockup when trying to open 'My Videos'.  I am not 100% but I am starting to think it may have been a network/chipset/video driver issue.

I did notice that if I left the default 'Sample Videos' folder in place, the lockups were more infrequent- however these did occasionally occur and persisted through three rebuilds of Vista Ultimate.

I purchased the M2N-VM HDMI motherboard (I have been looking at this system for several months) as I had an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ freed up when I purchased my Phenom 9500 CPU; the integrated HDMI (with digital audio over HDMI), MicroATX form factor and low cost (about $80) made this motherboard a perfect candidate for a media center upgrade.

I did a clean install of Vista and (so far) I have not received the spinning blue circle lockup I was getting with my ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD system when I went into 'My Videos'.

There are a few other possible factors that should be considered:

  • Updates from Microsoft addressed lockup issue
  • Updated driver Codecs work better with Vista
  • Network switch/NIC incompatibility

No comments:

Post a Comment