8.09.2009

Clear Usage Addendum

I have now received two automated messages and two emails from Clear stating that require my ‘Immediate Response’:

We have previously notified you regarding an issue with your account. An excessive amount of Internet traffic on your Clear connection is negatively impacting other Clear customers in your area. This can be caused by a variety of factors including for example virus or spyware on your computer, by having a wireless router with no password set or by using certain applications that may cause congestion. Until the issue is resolved, we have modified your connection to the network.

Please contact us at 888-657-1456 as soon as possible so we can assist you in resolving the issue.

Excess Utilization of Network Resources

The excessive use or abuse of Clear's network resources by one subscriber may have a negative impact on all other subscribers. Clear has adopted an Acceptable Use Policy, which all subscribers are required to follow as a condition of Service. Accordingly, you may not use the Service or take any action, directly or indirectly, that will result in excessive consumption or utilization of the system or network resources, or which may weaken network performance, as determined in Clear's sole discretion. Such prohibited actions include, but are not limited to: using the Service to host a web server site which attracts excessive traffic at your location, continuously uploading or downloading streaming video or audio, usenet hosting, or continuous uploading or downloading from file sharing web sites, when examples of such actions described above have the effect of degrading network performance and affecting other subscribers.

Violations of AUP

If you violate the Acceptable Use Policy, Clear may, without limitation, restrict your access to Clear's network, increase the fees associated with your Service, including upgrading you to a higher class of Service, or immediately suspend or terminate your Service. In the event of termination of your Service, all applicable termination charges will apply. Except as expressly provided herein, the rights and remedies of Clear are cumulative and not exclusive of any rights or remedies that Clear may otherwise have at law or in equity.

For more information on Clear's Acceptable Use Policy, please follow this link:

https://www.Clear.com/company/legal/terms.php

Thank you for your prompt attention.

This message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended solely for use of the addressee(s). If you are not an addressee, your disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail. Thank you.

I am taking a trip to Vegas soon and I am planning on using my WiMax connection while there. I have disconnected my home modem for the time being; I will resume my normal ‘negative impact on the network’ usage after I return.

To summarize my current thoughts on clear, here is a small Clear WiMax decision guide:

Use Clear if:

  • You want an inexpensive alterative to bundled DSL/Cable broadband options
  • You live in a large city and do not travel much

Do not use clear if:

  • You do not have a ‘clear sky’ path to the nearest WiMax tower (trees included)
  • You want to play online games
  • You travel and need a mobile connection that will work outside of the major cities that will be receiving Clear WiMax
  • You want to use you internet connection for anything beyond emails/web browsing

If I had more than 7 days to evaluate the limitations of the service I would have canceled a few weeks ago… :(

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me know this. I called to return my Clear equipment (sans USB modem) and cancel my month-to-month account.

    They were trying to keep me from leaving by telling me I should let them try to fix my connectivity issues for me. To be honest, I didn't give Clear a chance to help me out. So I was very close to letting them extend my trial period and give them a chance to see if they could improve my bandwidth.

    After seeing what you are going through, I KNOW I would also be getting these warnings about excessive usage as I'm a big user of BitTorrent and I game all the time on my consoles.

    Its funny, but they sound like a homeowners association with these emails and notifications they've sent you.

    Im definitely sticking with my cable right now.

    ReplyDelete